New jQuery Mobile Site up and Running

During an update to the desktop site navigation for my library’s website that introduced our new discovery layer, WorldCat Local, we chose to also update our mobile site. The original mobile site was innovative when it was originally developed by librarians several years ago but it was time for a facelift. Our current site is in flux and we have been preparing different mobile prototypes over the course of a year, but we had originally planned on waiting until the redesign of the library’s website was complete. This date has been pushed back several times and rather than wait what could be another 6 months we decided to publish a new mobile site and include a WorldCat Local mobile as the native search.

###Platform: jQuery Mobile

We looked at the Mobile Site Builder from SpringShare, and while this was a great hosted solution that would have allowed us to use existing content in LibGuides, it is a bit limited. Using this system we would only have two levels of navigation. We also found conflicts when we tried to include jQuery Mobile components within the Mobile Site Builder, which is built on iWebkit.

We chose jQuery Mobile because it is flexible, widely adopted, themeable, and works on all platforms. We used Jason Clark’s template, using the single page template, and built on it to include a search for WorldCat Local mobile. In the original planning phase for the mobile site, we had intended to do usability studies before settling on a navigation, but with the continued delays we kept the same items as the previous site and hope to do this in the near future. The mobile site links to our mobile LibGuides guides, and brings in some content stored in LibGuides via the API, mainly our hours page.